News Detail
Arm of St. Francis Xavier, SJ, on Pilgrimage Across Canada

December 3, 2017 — Today marks the feast day of St. Francis Xavier, SJ, one of the first Jesuits, considered by some to be the greatest missionary since the time of the Apostles. Next month, St. Francis Xavier’s right arm — a precious relic usually housed in the Church of the Gesù in Rome — will be traveling to 14 cities across Canada.

It was Ottawa’s Archbishop, Jesuit Terrence Prendergast, who had the idea to bring the relic to Canada.

“The Jesuit order is all about missions confided to us by the Holy Father and living out our charism in service to the church,” Archbishop Prendergast said. “Xavier lived that dramatically.”

St. Francis Xavier was born in Navarre, Spain, on April 7, 1506. After completing studies in Spain, he traveled to Paris in 1525, where he befriended Peter Faber and Ignatius Loyola. The three men, along with future Jesuits James Lainez, Alfonso Salmerón, Nicholas Bobadilla and Simón Rodrigues, professed vows of poverty and chastity in Montmartre on Aug. 15, 1534.

Xavier and Ignatius were both ordained on June 24, 1537. In April 1541, Xavier sailed to India on a dangerous voyage, landing at Goa in May 1542 to evangelize the people of the East Indies. He spent the first five months preaching and ministering to the sick. He then journeyed to the southern coast, aiming to restore Christianity. He devoted almost three years to preaching to the people of Western India, converting many.

Xavier embarked for Japan in June 1549, where he devoted the entire first year to learning the Japanese language. During his stay in Japan, Xavier heard much about the Chinese and saw it as his next opportunity to spread the Gospel. He sailed to China in 1552, landing at the small island of Shangchuan off the coast. Before reaching the mainland, however, he became ill and died on the island on Dec. 3, 1552.

He completed a staggering amount of missionary work in just 10 years, earning him the titles "Apostle of the Indies" and "Apostle of Japan." He was canonized with St. Ignatius in 1622 by Pope Gregory XV and named the patron saint of all foreign missions by Pope Pius X.

His body is still enshrined at Goa in the Basilica of Bom Jesus. In 1614, by the order of Jesuit Superior General Claudio Acquaviva, his right arm was severed at the elbow and taken to Rome, where an altar was made to display it in the Church of the Gesù.

Today, his name adorns many schools, parishes and Jesuit communities worldwide, including Xavier High School in New York City and Xavier University in Cincinnati.

The relic will travel to 14 cities in Canada. Learn more about the pilgrimage here: cco.ca/relic

[Sources: The Catholic Register, CBC.ca,Catholic EncyclopediaCatholic OnlineXavier University]





Recent News



February 19, 2019 — The Society of Jesus has four new core priorities that will guide its mission for the next 10 years, Jesuit Superior General Father Arturo Sosa announced Tuesday.

Feburary 19, 2019 — The Jesuit Conference Office of Justice and Ecology, Kino Border Initiative, and the Ignatian Solidarity Network condemn President Trump’s unwarranted declaration of a national emergency on the U.S.-Mexico border.

February 15, 2019 — Feeling uninspired by our current crop of national political leaders this Presidents’ Day Weekend? Take heart – there are other possibilities.

February 14, 2019 — Jesuits.org is sharing the following quotation attributed to Jesuit Father Joseph P. Whelan (d.1994) to celebrate Valentine’s Day.

February 8, 2019 — Indra Acharya was born in a refugee camp in Nepal, was educated by Jesuit Refugee Service and later attended Georgetown University.

view all news

Search news

Publications
Since St. Ignatius bought a printing press in 1556, the Jesuits have been involved in communications. Today the Society of Jesus publishes a number of award-winning journals and publications. Click below to access our latest issues.

America 2/18/19

America 2/4/19

America 1/21/19



Our Lady of the Oaks Retreat House
Our Lady of the Oaks Retreat House, located in Grand Coteau, La., has provided a beautiful setting for retreats since 1938.