News Detail
Monument Celebrates Jesuit’s Role in Indian Missions & Oregon Trail
October 29, 2013 — A recently-installed monument of Jesuit Father Pierre-Jean De Smet in Soda Springs, Idaho, commemorates the 19th century Jesuit missionary's travels to establish the first of his American Indian missions in the Rocky Mountains.

The historical monument to Fr. De Smet, which includes a bronze bust and four narrative plaques, was dedicated on the 172nd anniversary of the arrival of Fr. De Smetand the first Oregon Trail Emigrant Wagon Train to Soda Springs, and ultimately, to California.

Fr. De Smet was in Soda Springs on Aug. 10, 1841, on his way to southwestern Montana’s Bitterroot Valley to establish the first of his Rocky Mountain Missions with the Flathead Indians. He was joined by the Bidwell-Bartleson group, the first immigrant wagon train of what would become the Oregon Trail that led to present-day Oregon and California. They joined Fr. De Smetand several other Jesuits in present-day Kansas City, Mo., after learning that Fr. De Smet had hired reliable guide Thomas Fitzpatrick.

Don Wind, an organizer of the Soda Springs monument and commemoration, said Bidwell later wrote in his memoir that without Fr. De Smet and his guide, "not a one of us would have reached California."

Fr. De Smet had met with the Flathead Indians in the Bitterroot Valley the previous year after four delegations of Indians from 1831 to 1839 had asked church authorities to send them a "black robe." The Flathead had heard about Christianity from the Iroquois who had been exposed to Christian beliefs 200 years earlier in the Great Lakes region and who had accompanied fur traders out West.

Fr. De Smet's trip West in 1840 helped him decide whether the Jesuits had the means and the men to serve the native people. He returned to St. Louis, New Orleans and other cities to raise funds for and to recruit men to join him in the missions. [Missouri Province]

 


Recent News

March 26, 2015 — Jesuit novices are serving the poor and the homeless at the Morning Glory Café as part of their novitiate experiments.

March 24, 2015 — “La Voz del Pueblo” is told from the perspective of journalists at a Jesuit-run radio station.

March 23, 2015 — Cheverus High School in Portland, Maine, has named Jesuit Father George E. Collins to succeed current president, Jesuit Father William R. Campbell.

March 20, 2015 — Thirteen schools are partnering with Jesuit Refugee Service/USA to help unaccompanied Central American children and immigrant families seeking refuge in the U.S.

March 19, 2015 — Jesuit Refugee Service marks 35 years of accompaniment.

March 18, 2015 — Jesuit Father Richard Clifford was recently honored for his service to the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry.

March 16, 2015 — Salvadoran Archbishop Oscar Romero will be beatified May 23, and the beatification process for his friend Jesuit Father Rutilio Grande has also begun.

view all news

Search news

Publications
Since St. Ignatius bought a printing press in 1556, the Jesuits have been involved in communications. Today the Society of Jesus publishes a number of award-winning journals and publications. Click below to access our latest issues.

America - 3/30/15

America - 3/23/15

America - 3/16/15



Montserrat Jesuit Retreat House
Located on the shores of Lake Lewisville in Lake Dallas, Texas, Montserrat Jesuit Retreat House is situated on an inviting 37-acre campus less than an hour north of Dallas.