Staten Island, New York
St. Mary of the Assumption was founded in 1853 in the Port Richmond section of Staten Island, N.Y. At its beginning, St. Mary’s served a historically European immigrant population.
By the 1990s, the parish experienced an increase in Mexican immigrants moving into the area. Today, the parish continues to serve the Catholic Hispanic population in the surrounding neighborhoods. As of the summer of 2013, all English language services at St. Mary’s ceased and English language services were shifted to their sister parish, Our Lady of Mount Carmel-St. Benedicta.
St. Mary of the Assumption is a relatively new Jesuit parish, with the leadership and care of the parish turned over to the Jesuits in 2003. A sister relationship was formed when, in 2006, the Jesuits assumed responsibility of the nearby parish of Our Lady of Mount Carmel-St. Benedicta. The two parishes share many similarities, but each has retained their distinctive identity and both are cared for by the same Jesuit priests.
St. Mary of Assumption has a number of religious groups that reflect the traditional devotions of the people they serve: Comite Guadalupano, Dulce Nombre de Jesús, Sagrada Corazon, Circulo de Oración and Juan Diego (a youth group). The Comite Guadalupano has played a key role in preserving traditional Mexican dances, which are performed throughout the Tri-state area. The parish also has a food pantry and a clothing dispensary.