St. Francis, South Dakota
Founded in 1886, St. Francis Mission is a ministry of the Jesuits among the 20,000 Lakota (Sioux) people on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in south-central South Dakota. The mission’s purpose is to re-evangelize Catholic Lakota people and bring the Gospel to those who have not heard it. St. Francis Mission respects the traditions of the Lakota people as the mission collaborates with them to meet the spiritual, educational, social and physical needs of the community.
A team of Jesuits works in collaboration with a Lakota deacon, several commissioned Lakota lay ministers and numerous Lakota lay men and women who make the work of the church possible. The Jesuits oversee seven parishes on the mission: St. Agnes, St. Charles Borromeo, St. Bridget's, St. Ignatius, Our Lady of Good Counsel, Sacred Heart and St. Thomas the Apostle Parish.
St. Francis Mission is the largest not-for-profit organization on the Rosebud Reservation that is not a government program. Currently it supports work in the seven parishes; the Icimani Ya Waste Recovery Center; the White River Recovery Center; the Father Jones Religious Education Center in St. Francis; the CYO Religious Education Center in Rosebud; the Wiwila Wakpala after-school center in Spring Creek; the Buechel Memorial Lakota Museum; and KINI Radio 96.1 FM.