New Orleans, Louisiana
The Jesuits’ Holy Name of Jesus Parish is located on the campus of Loyola University New Orleans. The parish nurtures the spiritual growth of all its members through the energetic celebration of the sacraments, daily prayer and lifelong study of the faith, witness, service and hospitality.
Once known as the “Little Jesuits” church, Holy Name of Jesus’ first church was a Gothic structure made entirely of native wood. Six Jesuit brothers skilled in carpentry constructed the building. On May 29, 1892, Holy Name was blessed and dedicated, with 70 Catholics comprising the parish.
In 1904, plans began taking place for a college. To accommodate the buildings, the original wooden church of Holy Name had to be moved 30 feet down the road. On July 17, 1910, the congregation heard Mass with the building on jackscrews, and immediately afterward, workmen put the structure on rollers and moved it to its new location. Eight years later, a new church was erected and dedicated on December 9, 1918. The following year, Sunday Mass began being broadcast over Loyola University’s radio station WWL.
Today, Holy Name of Jesus has a lively group of young parishioners who are active in the church’s Young Adult Group, which organizes service projects and has a Scripture reading group.