Ss. Peter and Paul Jesuit Church, a Catholic community in the Ignatian spiritual tradition, is Detroit’s oldest church building in continuous use since 1848. It served for 29 years as the cathedral of the Detroit Diocese. The parish was given to the Jesuits in 1877 to build Detroit’s first Catholic college, which became the University of Detroit-Mercy. The law school of the university is still adjacent to the church.
Since 1848, the interior of the church has had several renovations, but the exterior retains its original simplicity. Throughout its long history, the church has served a wide variety of Detroit's citizens and is an active partner in the reconstruction of the downtown area.
Today 150 households belong to the church, but over 700 people send regular contributions for the maintenance of the church, primarily for the parish’s Warming Center. Those contributions come from as far away as Florida from people who believe in the church’s ministry to the homeless. The Warming Center offers hospitality, hot meals, assistance with addressing legal issues, access to medical attention and facilities to shower and launder clothing. Ss. Peter and Paul Jesuit Church is the only place that offers these services in the city of Detroit.