In the United States, there are 66 Jesuit parishes. A Jesuit parish is guided by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola, which encourages people to reflect on their experiences and to discern God’s presence in their lives. Such a parish aims to nurture lay leadership as well as personal faith. It is also committed to “the faith that does justice” by way of solidarity with the poor and dedication to the greater good.
Jesuit parishes are located in inner cities, suburbs and rural outposts, as well as on college campuses and Native American reservations.
Following is a detailed guide to Jesuit parishes in the United States.
Since St. Ignatius bought a printing press in 1556, the Jesuits have been involved in communications. Today the Society of Jesus publishes a number of award-winning journals and publications. Click below to access our latest issues.
St. Agnes is a Jesuit, Catholic parish founded in 1893 and located in the historic Haight-Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco.
Founded by the Jesuits in 1794, Holy Trinity is the oldest church in continuous operation in Washington, D.C.
St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church was established in 1819 in Grand Coteau, La., and the Jesuits have served the parish since 1837.
Located in Phoenix, St. Francis Xavier Parish focuses on evangelization, education, the sacraments and the promotion of service and justice.
Founded in 1641 by Fr. Andrew White, S.J., St. Ignatius Church is one of the oldest Catholic parishes in continuous service in the country.
St. John’s Parish began in 1887 as St. John’s Collegiate Chapel on the campus of Creighton University in Omaha.
The Church of St. Ignatius Loyola is a vibrant faith community located on New York City’s Upper East Side.
St. Ignatius Church in San Francisco is the legacy of a dynamic and continuous Jesuit presence in the city since its earliest days.
Founded in 1841, St. Francis Xavier College Church is a spirit-filled faith community located on Saint Louis University’s campus.
Old St. Joseph’s Church was founded by the Jesuits in 1733 and is Philadelphia’s oldest Catholic community.
Gesu Parish, a Catholic community in Milwaukee inspired by the Ignatian tradition, dates back to 1849.
St. Rita of Cascia was founded in 1922 to serve the area’s Italian immigrants in Tacoma, Wash.
Since 1922, Gesu Parish has served the Detroit community, grounded in the rich Catholic traditions upon which it was founded.
St. Charles Borromeo Church, founded in 1846, is the oldest Catholic parish in northern Rhode Island.
The St. Aloysius Parish community has engaged in its mission of faith for over a century in Spokane, Wash.
Since its founding in 1845 as Cincinnati’s first Catholic church, St. Francis Xavier Church has been infused with the Jesuit charism.
Situated in the heart of downtown New Orleans, Immaculate Conception Parish welcomes those who live, work and visit downtown.
St. Francis Xavier Parish was established in 1909 by Jesuits from the newly founded Rockhurst College in Kansas City, Mo.
Since 1869, St. Alphonsus Rodriguez Parish in Woodstock, Md., has fostered its identity, mission and spirituality in the way of St. Ignatius.
Founded in 1904, Blessed Sacrament Parish is a wonderfully diverse community located in the middle of historic Hollywood, Calif.
Dolores Mission, a parish east of downtown Los Angeles, is dedicated to service to the poor and the immigrant and to social justice.
Founded in 1954 by the Jesuits, St. Ignatius Loyola is an urban parish with a diverse population located in Sacramento, Calif.
Founded in 1932, Our Lady of Guadalupe is a Jesuit parish in San Diego, Calif., with an emphasis on Spanish-speaking sacramental work.
Founded in 1961, Most Holy Trinity Church is a rich, multi-ethnic parish community and school on the east side of San Jose, Calif.
St. Ignatius Loyola Catholic community is an ethnically and culturally diverse parish located by City Park in Denver, Colo.
Sacred Heart Mission Parish serves as the center of Polish worship and culture on the northwest side of Chicago.
Immaculate Conception Church is staffed by the Jesuits with a special mission to serve the Black Catholic community of Baton Rouge, La.
Founded in 1892, the Jesuits’ Holy Name of Jesus Parish is located on the campus of Loyola University New Orleans.
Located just outside of Boston, St. Ignatius was founded in 1926 and placed under the care of the Jesuit Fathers residing at Boston College.
Located in Baltimore, St. Ignatius Church prides itself on the spiritual, emotional and physical growth of the parish and the surrounding community.
St. Mary Student Parish is the Catholic parish for the students, faculty and staff of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.
Ss. Peter and Paul Jesuit Church, a Catholic parish in the Ignatian spiritual tradition, is Detroit’s oldest church building in continuous use since 1848.
Saint Thomas More Catholic Community is the union of two parishes in St. Paul, Minn.
Founded in 1893, St. Matthew the Apostle Catholic Church serves an African-Americans congregation in North St. Louis.
Founded by the Jesuits in 1891, St. Francis Xavier Roman Catholic Church is the oldest Catholic community in Missoula, Mont.
Founded in 1851, St. Peter Catholic Church is the oldest Catholic parish in Charlotte and has been staffed by the Jesuits since 1986.
St. Raphael the Archangel Catholic Parish serves a diverse community of Catholic believers in Raleigh, N.C.
Ss. Mary & Joseph Parish, a Jesuit parish responding to the call of Christ through prayer, service and community, serves 3,000 families in Salem, N.H.
Immaculate Conception Church, in downtown Albuquerque, N.M., has been staffed by the Jesuits since its founding in 1883.
Located in downtown Buffalo, N.Y., St. Michael’s Parish was founded in 1851 under the direction of the Jesuits and has remained so ever since.
Located in New York City, St. Francis Xavier Parish strives to be a welcoming community and a prophetic witness to the Spirit of Christ in the world.
St. Anthony’s Church in Oceanside, N.Y., has grown from 14 faithful people to a community of over 4,800 registered families.
Founded in 1913, St. Mary of the Assumption+Our Lady of Mount Carmel+St. Benedicta Parish is situated on the North Shore of Staten Island, N.Y.
St. Robert Bellarmine Chapel was founded in 1927 at Xavier University to serve a neighborhood community in Cincinnati.
Gesu Parish is a thriving, caring, Gospel-centered community of Catholics in Cleveland, Ohio, focused on Ignatian spirituality.
Founded in 1907, St. Ignatius Parish draws worshipers from its diverse community just east of the Willamette River in Portland, Ore.
Holy Rosary Mission Parish is located on and serves the Lakota people of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in Pine Ridge, S.D.
St. Francis Mission is a ministry of the Jesuits among the Lakota people on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in St. Francis, S.D.
The oldest parish in El Paso, Sacred Heart Church is a border community with roots both in Mexico and in El Paso’s Segundo Barrio.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church was founded in 1911 to serve San Antonio’s Spanish-speaking population and became a Jesuit parish in 1932.
Established in 1901, Sacred Heart Catholic Church is the oldest Roman Catholic parish in the Manchester area in Richmond, Va.
The Rocky Mountain Mission includes 12 parishes that serve Native American communities both on the reservation and off in the Pacific Northwest.
Founded in 1907, St. Joseph Parish is located on Capitol Hill in Seattle and today serves more than 1,200 registered households.
Located in Tacoma, Wash., St. Leo is a community centered in the Eucharist, enriched by diversity and committed to Gospel values.
Founded in 1969 by U.S. Jesuits, St. Martin de Porres Parish serves Catholics living on the western edge of Belize City, Belize.
St. Peter Claver Parish serves Punta Gorda, Belize, as well as acts a hub for ministries throughout the Toledo District.
Our Lady of Hope Parish in Portland, Maine, includes two churches: St. Joseph and St. Pius.
Eastern Point Retreat House
Eastern Point Retreat House, a grand house located on the Atlantic shore in Gloucester, Mass., has been welcoming retreatants since 1958.