News Detail
Fairfield University and Prep Celebrate 75 Years of Jesuit Education

March 31, 2017 — On March 17, 1942, Jesuit Father John McElene and six of his brother Jesuits founded a college and high school in Fairfield, Connecticut, which would become Fairfield University and Fairfield College Preparatory School. Fr. McEleney became the first president of the new college and vicar of the prep school, originally named The Fairfield College of St. Robert Bellarmine, after the school's patron Jesuit saint. 


Fairfield University’s first commencement in June 1951 held in the college’s band shell. Commencement now takes place on Bellarmine Hall lawn. 

In the 75 years since their founding, Fairfield University and Fairfield Prep have provided generations of students with a Jesuit education that calls them to be men and women for others.

Fairfield University has assembled a timeline of significant events from its history, which can be viewed here. They also have a list of some of the ways that they will celebrate their 75th anniversary, which can be viewed here.

Click here to read about how Fairfield Prep celebrated the anniversary. [Source: USA Northeast Province]





Recent News





November 12, 2019 — Hundreds of advocates, including several Ignatian and other faith-based organizations, gathered outside the Supreme Court today to show support for DACA.

November 11, 2019 — Yael Balbuena Basto’s voice fills with emotion. “I am here to break the cycle of fear,” he says to an audience of fellow students and teachers at Brophy Prep.

November 6, 2019 ­— Nicole Walters' first experience of Imaginative Prayer led to a profound encounter with God.

view all news

Search news

Publications
Since St. Ignatius bought a printing press in 1556, the Jesuits have been involved in communications. Today the Society of Jesus publishes a number of award-winning journals and publications. Click below to access our latest issues.

America 10/14/19

America 9/30/19

America 9/16/19



White House Jesuit Retreat Center
The White House Jesuit Retreat Center is located on a beautiful 80-acre campus on the bluffs of the Mississippi River in St. Louis.