Profile Detail
Capitolo, Paul F.
Jesuit Father Paul F. Capitolo, long-time teacher and student counselor at St. Ignatius College Preparatory, entered into God’s peace September 29 at Sacred Heart Jesuit Center in Los Gatos, California. He was 80 years old.
Capitolo, Paul F.

Died 29 September 2015

Jesuit Father Paul F. Capitolo, long-time teacher and student counselor at St. Ignatius College Preparatory, entered into God’s peace September 29 at Sacred Heart Jesuit Center in Los Gatos, California. He was 80 years old.

Fr. Capitolo was born in the small mining town of Price, Utah, on Feb. 6, 1935. His family relocated to San Francisco and he graduated from St. Ignatius High School (1953) and the University of San Francisco (1957) before entering the Jesuit Novitiate at Los Gatos.

After studies at Gonzaga University, he taught English at St. Ignatius (1964-66) and began theological studies at Alma College, Los Gatos. He was ordained a priest in St. Ignatius Church, San Francisco, on June 7, 1969.

In 1970 Fr. Capitolo returned to St. Ignatius College Prep, beginning an association that would extend 41 years. He served in many capacities: house administrator, teacher, student counselor, and moderator of the soccer program and of Boy’s State. Always ready to roll up his sleeves, he also managed the bookstore and was ready for any task that came along. This was in addition to parish assignments on weekends and during the summer. He retired to Sacred Heart Jesuit Center, Los Gatos, in 2011.

He is survived by his brother, Fr. Mario Capitolo, SJ, of Los Gatos and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his brother, Philip, and sister, Marie Vaughan.

Publications
Since St. Ignatius bought a printing press in 1556, the Jesuits have been involved in communications. Today the Society of Jesus publishes a number of award-winning journals and publications. Click below to access our latest issues.

America 10/14/19

America 9/30/19

America 9/16/19







Loyola House of Retreats
Loyola House of Retreats is located on 30 acres of beautiful lawns, gardens and woodland in a quiet section of Morristown, N.J.